Thursday, January 1, 2009

Slack

Nearly a month without a post!  I feel like a bad blogger - a blog is for life, not just till the novelty wears off etc etc... 

Now it's New Year'
s Day and I'm a little headachy, very lazy and in my PJs before it's even dark outside.  Seems appropriate to post a recipe for the Easiest Cake Ever which I served at my little NYE VIP BBQ last night.  Well, perhaps there are easier cakes to make, but I bet they aren't as good as this; the ratio of ease (of method) to please (that which you bring to your appreciative cake-eating audience) on this one is very satisfying.  And see how I coined a little rhyming thing there? I work best in pyjamas.

Claudia Roden's Orange and Almond Cake - one of my very favourites.

2 oranges
5 eggs, beaten
250g castor sugar
250g ground almonds
1 teaspoon baking power (use gluten-free and the whole cake is celiac-friendly)

Put the oranges, whole, into a saucepan and fill with enough water to cover them.  Boil gently for two hours (keep an eye on the water level and top up if necessary).  Heat oven to 200C and butter and flour (if going gluten-free use appropriate flour or some extra almond meal) a large, spring-form cake tin.

Remove oranges from water and let them cool before putting them into a blender or food processor, or turning them into pulp with a stick blender in a large bowl.

Add sugar, almond meal, baking powder and eggs to oranges, combine well and pour into prepared tin.  Bake for about an hour or until skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out (mostly) clean - the joy of this cake is it is very moist but the outside goes a nice deep brown and is slightly crisp.

Easy pleasey!  Thanks Claudia!

1 comment:

Guy said...

Easy sounds good!! And yum.